Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
On Friday, it was hard to see for much of the team's contest abroad with the Vancouver Canucks, but it was there. Though without veterans Derek Morris and Lauri Korpikoski, and captain Shane Doan, the team found a way to rally from a 2-0 third period deficit to force overtime.
The dominant final stretch, which saw the Coyotes outshoot the Canucks 18-8, was highlighted by Antoine Vermette and David Moss goals, along with a host of spectacular saves from goalie Mike Smith.
But Chris Higgins' eighth goal of the season -- netted with a little over a minute remaining in overtime -- proved the difference for the Canucks, as the Coyotes had to settle for a single point on their final stop in Western Canada, where they went 1-1-1 in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
The Coyotes outshot the Canucks 39-32 on the night, with David Schlemko managing five and Moss, Keith Yandle and Oliver Ekman-Larsson firing four shots on goal.
The Canucks won the takeaway margin handedly, 14-6 -- using one of their two power plays to down the Coyotes and getting superior play from goaltender Roberto Luongo.
The final stop of the Coyotes' four-game road trip is domestic, as the team heads to Denver to face the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday. Puck drops at 7:00 p.m. MDT and the game can be heard on 860 AM.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?