Coyotes claw back for overtime win over Oilers
Phoenix dominated most of the opening period, ripping off 15 shots, before the Oilers scored three goals in a little over seven minutes spanning the first and second periods.
The Coyotes tied it after pulling goalie Thomas Greiss, with Yandle setting up Boedker on a nifty give-and-go. Yandle ended it when he fought off a defender to beat former teammate Ilya Bryzgalov.
Phoenix earned a point in its sixth straight game, all in overtime.
David Perron had a goal and assist, and Taylor Hall set up all three of Edmonton's goals. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nick Schultz also scored.
Tim Kennedy had Phoenix's other goal, and Greiss stopped 15 shots after replacing Mike Smith in the second period.
Charged up by the largest home crowd of the season, the Coyotes charged out of the locker room against the Oilers, peppering Bryzgalov with 10 shots in the opening four minutes. They broke through a few minutes later when Yandle lost the puck, got it back and circled to the right circle, where he beat Bryzgalov stick side with a wrister.
Phoenix kept the pressure up, outshooting Edmonton 21-6 in the first period.
But for all their work, the Coyotes could only manage a tie heading into the second; Nugent-Hopkins scored his 11th goal of the season with just over a minute left by swiping a backhand through Smith's pads.
Edmonton took it from there, scoring 25 seconds into the second period. Perron caught Phoenix's defensemen pinching and scored his 17th goal of the season on a breakaway.
Schultz made it 3-1 six minutes later, taking a whirling pass from Hall and beating Smith, who was replaced by Greiss after allowing three goals on 10 shots.
The Coyotes rallied behind a fortunate bounce. A shot by Kennedy hit the side of the net, bounced forward and caromed off Bryzgalov's skate into the net.
Phoenix, like it has so many times this season, pulled out at least a point after pulling Greiss to set up Boedker's tying goal.
NOTES: Coyotes C Antoine Vermette played his 350th straight game, the NHL's fourth-longest active streak. Yandle has played in 342 straight. ... Hall has multiple points in four of his last five games. ... Phoenix is 9-0-2 in its last 11 games against Edmonton.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.