Coyotes' Martin Hanzal, Zbynek Michalek named to Czech Olympic team
Two more Phoenix Coyotes will be representing their country in the upcoming Olympic games in Sochi, Russia.
Center Martin Hanzal and defenseman Zbynek Michalek were both named to the Czech Olympic team on Monday.
Hanzal, born in České Budějovice, is one of the Coyotes' top centers. Regularly anchoring a line between Lauri Korpikoski and fellow Czech Radim Vrbata (who was not named to the Olympic side), Hanzal has posted 11-17-28 this season, the third highest point total for Phoenix.
Michalek, born in Jindřichův Hradec, isn't known for racking up points. He has only contributed four assists this season, but his defensive prowess is some of the best the NHL has to offer.
Despite missing time, Michalek still leads the Coyotes in blocked shots this season with 72, placing him just outside the top 25 shot blockers in the league with only playing about half the games of those leading the category.
Michalek has not played since Dec. 17, when he aggravated a lower-body injury in Phoenix's matchup with the Montreal Canadiens. He is expected to be game-ready before the Olympics.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.