Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 11:31 am
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith named to Team Canada roster
Smith will be joining Vancouver's Roberto Luongo and Montreal's Carey Price as goaltenders heading to Sochi to represent Canada.
The 31-year-old Smith is in his third year with the Coyotes, positing a 15-10-8 record with a 2.89 GAA and .911 save percentage.
He currently leads the NHL in shots against and saves, but has also allowed more goals than anyone else.
Chances are the Coyotes' netminder will not be the lead goalie for Canada, but his inclusion on the roster is something he'd been pining for all season.
Smith is one of five Coyotes to be named to Olympic teams, joining Martin Hanzal and Zbynek Michalek (Czech Republich), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Sweden) and Lauri Korpikoski (Finland).
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?