Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 11:31 am
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith named to Team Canada roster
Smith will be joining Vancouver's Roberto Luongo and Montreal's Carey Price as goaltenders heading to Sochi to represent Canada.
The 31-year-old Smith is in his third year with the Coyotes, positing a 15-10-8 record with a 2.89 GAA and .911 save percentage.
He currently leads the NHL in shots against and saves, but has also allowed more goals than anyone else.
Chances are the Coyotes' netminder will not be the lead goalie for Canada, but his inclusion on the roster is something he'd been pining for all season.
Smith is one of five Coyotes to be named to Olympic teams, joining Martin Hanzal and Zbynek Michalek (Czech Republich), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Sweden) and Lauri Korpikoski (Finland).
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!