Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 11:31 am
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith named to Team Canada roster
Smith will be joining Vancouver's Roberto Luongo and Montreal's Carey Price as goaltenders heading to Sochi to represent Canada.
The 31-year-old Smith is in his third year with the Coyotes, positing a 15-10-8 record with a 2.89 GAA and .911 save percentage.
He currently leads the NHL in shots against and saves, but has also allowed more goals than anyone else.
Chances are the Coyotes' netminder will not be the lead goalie for Canada, but his inclusion on the roster is something he'd been pining for all season.
Smith is one of five Coyotes to be named to Olympic teams, joining Martin Hanzal and Zbynek Michalek (Czech Republich), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Sweden) and Lauri Korpikoski (Finland).
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.