By the Numbers: Coyotes fall to Flames as late rally falls short
But after Wednesday's 3-2 loss to the Calgary Flames, the Coyotes have found themselves on the wrong side of the final for the second consecutive game.
The Coyotes again seemed to have the majority of scoring chances and good looks, but couldn't get anything to fall their way. Phoenix had a late flurry at the net, but couldn't get anything home in the final seconds of Wednesday's game.
Here's a closer look at the loss by the numbers:
The Coyotes scored a shorthanded goal for the second straight game after not netting one in their first 48 outings. Both came from Antoine Vermette.
Phoenix center Martin Hanzal was a scratch for the second straight game with a lower-body injury. Hanzal is listed as day-to-day.
For the fifth time in their last six games, the Coyotes scored two goals or less. Phoenix scored three in a 3-2 win over New Jersey and in a 5-3 loss to Philadelphia, but hasn't passed that mark since Dec. 31, 2013, in a 4-3 overtime win over Edmonton.
The Coyotes had scored a power play goal in seven straight games -- halfway to the franchise record of 14 -- but that streak was snapped Wednesday, when Phoenix went 0 for 2 with the man advantage.
Coyotes captain Shane Doan snapped a seven-game scoreless drought with third-period wrister to pull Phoenix within 3-2.
Phoenix fired 32 shots on Calgary goaltender Karri Ramo, but he came up with 30 saves, including holding strong during a last-second Coyotes rally at the net.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?