Updated Jan 29, 2014 - 8:48 am
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan notches 500th career assist
At 3:16 of the second period, Coyotes defenseman buried a shot on the power play to give his team a 2-0 lead. Goals are nice, but it was the set-up pass that made history: Doan recorded the 500th assist of his National Hockey League career.
"It means you've played for probably a long time," he joked after the win. "Especially in my case, when you're not that good, but you've just been around a long time.
"It's obviously something that's pretty unique and special."
Doan is currently sitting in third on the franchise's all-time assists list, chasing Dale Hawerchuk (550) and Thomas Steen (553), both of whom spent far less time with the team than Doan has.
"They spent a lot less time with the organization and they're still ahead of me, so slow and steady I guess," Doan said with a smile.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.