By the Numbers: Sloppy Coyotes fall to Sabres at home
They started the year with two straight losses before a blowout win was followed by four more losses. Then two wins were followed by two losses. Any bit of momentum has been promptly slowed, and that trend continued Thursday at Jobing.com Arena, where the Coyotes fell 3-2 to the Buffalo Sabres.
Just two nights after thoroughly pounding the Los Angeles Kings 3-0, the Coyotes put together a sloppy effort that included allowing the game-winning goal shorthanded on a slow-rolling puck off a turnover.
Here's a closer look at the loss by the numbers:
Phoenix forward Antoine Vermette has scored five goals in his last three games after netting a power play goal at the 18:30 mark of the first period, tying Thursday's game at one.
Vermette has scored eight goals in the Coyotes' last eight games, including a three-goal performance in a 5-4 overtime loss to the Vancouver Canucks. Vermette has added two assists for a total of 10 points during that stretch.
The Coyotes have scored a power play goal in 13 of their last 14 games. Phoenix is converting on 20.2 percent of its power plays -- good for eighth in the NHL.
The Coyotes had killed off 14 straight penalties before the Sabres struck with 0:02 left on a Paul Bissonnette penalty early in the second period, tying the game at two.
Coyotes' right wing David Moss snapped a 16-game goalless streak when he put Phoenix on top 2-1 late in the first period.
Phoenix needed just 18 seconds between tying the game at one and taking a 2-1 lead late in the first period. Vermette's power play goal tied the game at the 18:30 mark of the period, and Moss' tally at the 18:48 mark put the Coyotes on top.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.