Coyotes CEO: Phoenix in ‘pretty good shape' to host outdoor game
CEO Anthony LeBlanc has been outspoken in his desire to host both the All-Star Game and an outdoor game since presuming his role in the Coyotes' front office. He's told the media that Phoenix is prepared to host an outdoor game.
"We've certainly stated our case," he told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns and Gambo on Friday.
"Myself and four or five of the other owners were out at the LA game and we had an opportunity to sit down with the commissioner and deputy commissioner and indicate why we thought it made sense to have a game here."
Six stadium games have been scheduled for 2014 and the NHL is reportedly considering scheduling less next season.
"They'll decide how the want to move forward with the stadium games," LeBlanc explained. "It's hard to say they're anything but a success."
The demand, however, is high to host, for that very reason.
"Every single team in the National Hockey League has expressed interest to the commissioner in hosting a game," LeBlanc said.
But the Coyotes feel that their relationships in the Valley and preparedness would equip them to host right away.
"Logistically, I think we're in pretty good shape," the Coyotes CEO said.
"I think the reasonable question anyone would ask is, ‘Can you guys sell the amount of tickets required to fill a stadium?'"
"And our answer is if done at the right time and against the right opponent, we absolutely can.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?