Coyotes coach surprised Oliver Ekman-Larsson didn't play more in Sochi
Some played a lot -- and played well, while others didn't play much at all.
While some of that could have been expected, such as the case with goalie Mike Smith, the lack of ice time for Oliver Ekman-Larsson confused Coyotes coach Dave Tippett.
"I guess every team has their own way of doing things and every coach has their own way of doing things, but I've seen Oliver play here for three years now and I'm a big believer in him," the coach told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "I am not understanding how he could not be part of their top six defensemen over there, it really baffles me."
The defenseman won a silver medal with Sweden, but averaged less than 10 minutes of ice time per game, though he did tally three assists and five shots on goal.
For the Coyotes, the 22-year-old OEL has eight goals, 21 assists, 36 PIMs and a plus-3.
"But I talked to him for a while this morning; he's upbeat, he said, 'You know, I'll just treat it as a great experience and get better.'
"And that's the great thing about Oliver; he wants to be a top player and he'll take everything and use it as a learning process and I think the other thing, he's going to use it as motivation to be a better player down the stretch here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?