Coyotes coach surprised Oliver Ekman-Larsson didn't play more in Sochi
Some played a lot -- and played well, while others didn't play much at all.
While some of that could have been expected, such as the case with goalie Mike Smith, the lack of ice time for Oliver Ekman-Larsson confused Coyotes coach Dave Tippett.
"I guess every team has their own way of doing things and every coach has their own way of doing things, but I've seen Oliver play here for three years now and I'm a big believer in him," the coach told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "I am not understanding how he could not be part of their top six defensemen over there, it really baffles me."
The defenseman won a silver medal with Sweden, but averaged less than 10 minutes of ice time per game, though he did tally three assists and five shots on goal.
For the Coyotes, the 22-year-old OEL has eight goals, 21 assists, 36 PIMs and a plus-3.
"But I talked to him for a while this morning; he's upbeat, he said, 'You know, I'll just treat it as a great experience and get better.'
"And that's the great thing about Oliver; he wants to be a top player and he'll take everything and use it as a learning process and I think the other thing, he's going to use it as motivation to be a better player down the stretch here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.