By the Numbers: Coyotes fall to Jets in shootout in return to ice
Now they've returned in a similar fashion, falling to the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 in a shootout despite a number of good scoring chances in overtime.
Coyotes' goalie Mike Smith stopped 29 shots and Phoenix went 1-for-5 on the power play, but Olli Jokinen's goal was the difference in a shootout that went four rounds.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
It took the Coyotes just 1:18 into the game to try to get something going emotionally, as Rob Klinkhammer dropped the gloves against Winnipeg's Zach Bogosian.
The Coyotes got off to a good start and worked their ways to three first-period power play chances, but were unable to convert on any of those.
Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro now has nine points in his last 11 games after assisting on Martin Hanzal's game-tying goal at the 6:40 mark of the third period.
It's been 11 games since the Coyotes picked up back-to-back wins, which they last did Jan. 16 and 18 against the Vancounver Canucks and New Jersey Devils.
Thursday's contest marked the first time the Coyotes took the ice in a game in 19 days, due to the NHL's Olympic break.
Winnipeg goalie Ondrej Pavelec stopped 36 of the Coyotes' 38 shots on net, 18 of which came in the third period and overtime. Pavelec also allowed just one shootout goal, which came off the stick of Antoine Vermette.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?