By the Numbers: Coyotes fall to Jets in shootout in return to ice
Now they've returned in a similar fashion, falling to the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 in a shootout despite a number of good scoring chances in overtime.
Coyotes' goalie Mike Smith stopped 29 shots and Phoenix went 1-for-5 on the power play, but Olli Jokinen's goal was the difference in a shootout that went four rounds.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
It took the Coyotes just 1:18 into the game to try to get something going emotionally, as Rob Klinkhammer dropped the gloves against Winnipeg's Zach Bogosian.
The Coyotes got off to a good start and worked their ways to three first-period power play chances, but were unable to convert on any of those.
Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro now has nine points in his last 11 games after assisting on Martin Hanzal's game-tying goal at the 6:40 mark of the third period.
It's been 11 games since the Coyotes picked up back-to-back wins, which they last did Jan. 16 and 18 against the Vancounver Canucks and New Jersey Devils.
Thursday's contest marked the first time the Coyotes took the ice in a game in 19 days, due to the NHL's Olympic break.
Winnipeg goalie Ondrej Pavelec stopped 36 of the Coyotes' 38 shots on net, 18 of which came in the third period and overtime. Pavelec also allowed just one shootout goal, which came off the stick of Antoine Vermette.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.