Mike Smith allows four goals in third period, Coyotes suffer heart-breaking loss: By the numbers
After building a two-goal lead after two periods of play, the Coyotes gave up three tallies in under 10 minutes and saw their once-promising prospects of taking down an elite Western Conference foe, the St. Louis Blues, fall by the wayside.
Following a blatant no-call on a trip of Keith Yandle, Patrick Berglund netted his second of two third period goals with under one minute and 40 seconds to play, and the Blues escaped Jobing.com Arena with a come-from-behind 4-2 victory.
Here's a look back at Phoenix's latest disappointing result by the numbers:
That's the number of points the Coyotes have accumulated since the 18-day Olympic break. With three consecutive losses to the Jets, Avalanche and Blues, Phoenix finds itself all the way down in 11th place.
While the four goals allowed certainly hurt, the Coyotes' offense continues to be the weak link. For the third consecutive game, Phoenix failed to score more than two goals.
Allowing third-period goals continues to be an issue for Phoenix goaltenders. Thomas Greiss allowed three in Friday's loss in Colorado, bringing the total to seven in two games.
And speaking of those two goals, both came by members of the fourth line -- Paul Bissonnette and Jeff Halpern. The duo now have five combined tallies in 2013-14.
Making his first start as a member of the Blues, Ryan Miller stopped 23 of 25 shots in the victory. And with that victory, the veteran netminder moved to a perfect 7-0-0 in his career against the Coyotes, including three wins this season.
After skating four shifts in the third period, top-line center Martin Hanzal left for the locker room and did not return. His status for Tuesday night's contest against the Canucks is unknown.
The Coyotes' current four-game losing streak is the longest of any of the 14 teams in the Western Conference. It also ties their longest of the season set back on Jan. 9-14.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.