Coyotes goalie Mike Smith talks about successful stretch
The netminder had struggled for much of the 2013-14 season, but has been a different player since coming back from the Olympic break.
And because of that, the Coyotes are back in the playoff hunt, currently with a hold on the final wild card spot in the Western Conference.
"You get on a little bit of a roll," Smith told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "Wins are so important now; you want to contribute to the team's success.
"I think it's just nice to be playing well and helping the team win."
Smith has been playing quite well, and in the month of March he is 7-3 with a goals against average of just 2.10. He's won seven of his last nine starts, including the last three.
On the season, he is 27-20-10 with a GAA of 2.64.
Smith, who leads the NHL in saves, goals allowed and shots faced, attributes much of the recent success to his teammates.
"Early in the season we were scoring a lot of goals, but we were giving up a lot defensively," he said. "I think as of late we've played a lot better in front of me, which has ultimately made my job a lot easier."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.