Phoenix Coyotes to face Calgary Flames in preseason game in Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In addition to being named the host, Sylvan Lake and its local arena will benefit from $100,000 in upgrades. The community organized several events to gain residents' support for the preseason game and prize money.
Kraft Hockeyville is awarding a total of $1 million to 16 different communities in Canada as part of the program.
"The passion for hockey is passed from generation-to-generation, and the community rink plays an essential role in that special relationship," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. "Kraft Hockeyville is committed to keeping community rinks vibrant, ensuring the health of the game in communities large and small. The National Hockey League is thrilled to support and be a part of this wonderful program and we, too, celebrate the communities that make hockey strong."
In the program's eighth year, a record-breaking 532 communities were nominated. Sixteen of them moved on to the voting rounds, with Kingston, Nova Scotia, coming in as the runner-up to Sylvan Lake.
"We are very excited to participate in next season's Kraft Hockeyville event in Sylvan Lake, AB," said Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney in a statement. "We look forward to celebrating the game of hockey with all the fans in Sylvan Lake and supporting this great hockey community."
The Coyotes-Flames game will be played in the fall before the start of the 2014-15 regular season.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.