Coyotes top Stars, snap skid in season finale: By The Numbers
They endured a season-long losing streak and saw their playoff hopes evaporate. They were without two of their top players in Mike Smith and Martin Hanzal, and every bounce seemed to go against them.
But they closed out the 2013-14 season on a high note.
David Moss scored with just 2:31 to play on Sunday against the Dallas Stars, handing the Coyotes a 2-1 lead that they would hang on to for their lone win in the season's final month.
Here's a closer look at the win, by the numbers:
Phoenix managed just one win in April, dropping six of their seven games in the month. The Coyotes finished the season by dropping seven of their last eight, though Sunday's win helped them avoid the worst losing streak in franchise history.
The Coyotes broke the franchise's single-game revenue record three times in their first year under new ownership, though the team finished last in the NHL in attendance by drawing 13,741 per game.
Phoenix was able to play a relatively clean game on Sunday, taking just six penalty minutes while Dallas took 22. The Coyotes also forced six takeaways by the Stars.
After seeing offensive miscues put their defense in bad situations for the better part of two weeks, the Coyotes got things together and outshot Dallas by 14 -- allowing just 17 shots on net from the Stars while getting off 31 of their own.
Phoenix goalie Thomas Greiss was required to make only 16 saves in the game, though several came during a furious Dallas rally in the game's closing minute.
The Coyotes wrapped up the season with 89 points, putting them just two back of Dallas for the final wild card spot, though the Stars held the tiebreaker between the two teams.
The Coyotes' season finale also served as fan appreciation night, and Phoenix drew 15,146 fans to close out the 2013-14 season.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.