Updated Jun 27, 2014 - 3:35 pm
Arizona Coyotes severing ties with Mike Ribeiro
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Coyotes knew Mike Ribeiro had behavioral issues when they signed him before last season, but hoped a reunion with coach Dave Tippett would help him.
It didn't, at least not to the Coyotes' satisfaction.
The Coyotes initiated a buyout of the final three years of Ribeiro's contract on Friday, parting ways with their top offseason acquisition from a year ago.
"Mike had some real behavioral issues we felt we could not tolerate going forward," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said.
The Coyotes had sought a playmaking center for years and appeared to have landed one when they signed Ribeiro to a four-year, $22 million contract last offseason.
He was one of the top free agents on the market last year and was considered a major coup for the franchise's new ownership group, IceArizona, which had agreed on a lease agreement to keep the team in Glendale just three days earlier.
The 34-year-old Ribeiro showed flashes of the brilliance he had in Washington, where he played at a point-per-game pace during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season.
But as the season wore on, Ribeiro became less effective and struggled with personal problems despite playing for Tippett, his former coach in Dallas.
Ribeiro was a healthy scratch in games against Pittsburgh and New Jersey late in the season while the Coyotes were fighting for a playoff spot and was largely ineffective down the stretch. He finished with 16 goals and 31 assists in 80 games.
The Coyotes became the Arizona Coyotes on Friday.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.