Updated Jun 27, 2014 - 6:36 pm
Arizona Coyotes take OHL winger Brendan Perlini with No. 12 pick in 2014 NHL Draft
With the No. 12 pick Friday, Arizona took left winger Brendan Perlini out of Surrey, England.
An 18-year-old prospect, Perlini has played the last two seasons in the OHL with the Niagara IceDogs.
In 2013-14, Perlini collected 71 total points (34 goals and 37 assists) with the IceDogs.
"I think I'm still filling into my body," Perlini told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns and Gambo. "Believe it or not I would like to get to 215 or 220 maybe, while trying to keep my skill and my speed. That would be a pretty lethal combo.
"This summer with going on the ice and training, it's going to be a big summer for me."
The newest Coyote is the third player from his family to be taken in the draft. Back in 2010, the Anaheim Ducks made his brother Brett the 192nd overall pick.
His father Fred was also an esteemed prospect in his day. The Maple Leafs took him in the eighth round of the 1980 draft, though he went on to have an illustrious career overseas.
"I think a guy I would compare my game to it's similar to Evgeni Malkin or Marian Hossa-style player," said Perlini. "I'm a pretty versatile player. I can play center or wing. I can bring a lot of speed and skill to the table."
Perlini is the first ever English-born player to be taken by Arizona in the NHL Draft.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.