Updated Nov 29, 2011 - 1:59 pm
The search is on for ASU's next head coach
Plenty of names will be brought up between now and the day a hire is made, but be clear about one thing: It is Vice President of Athletics Lisa Love's job to find the coach.
"I will be leading the cause to hire the next football coach," Love told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I will be proceeding as I did in the past with internal folks working hand-in-glove."
Love has hired four coaches in "high-profile" sports, including basketball's Herb Sendek, baseball's Tim Esmay, softball's Clint Myers and the recently-fired Dennis Erickson. Of that group only Myers has experienced postseason success, though Esmay has done a good job in replacing Pat Murphy.
Needless to say, if Sun Devil fans are a bit unsure of Love's ability to hire the right guy, her track record can be viewed as relatively spotty.
Love said the school isn't planning on hiring a search firm to help find a new football coach, but would if it helped in the process.
"At every turn, not unlike how President [Michael Crow] runs Arizona State University, he will be briefed at each turn all along the way," she said. "So he's certainly very much involved and has the ultimate decision to green light, but has given me the charge to get it done."
So who will the search lead to?
Love said head coaching experience would be nice, as the person would understand the demands that come with the job.
Love added that she'd like someone who can recruit out West, though the right person may not be in the area right now.
Whoever it ends up being, Love is convinced salary will not be an issue, saying she does not believe money will be a limiting factor in the search.
"We're going to bring in a top-notch coach, but we're also very mindful of an aggressive market, and we're committed to be aggressive in that regard," she said, noting they will be responsible with the hire. "There's a balance there between being market savvy and being highly aggressive with who you are going to hire, but also being responsible so you're not going to an absurd level of expenditure, and I think we're all very, very mindful of the challenging state of our economy."
Ultimately, Love says the culture surrounding the job will prove to be a valuable asset in the search, which has already netted an impressive array of candidates.
"You're looking at candidates that could be coaching and could have serious bowl commitments or serious commitments; who knows how this will bob and weave as we move forward," she said. "Just the interest stemming from the announcement [Monday] until now has been resounding."
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.