Updated Nov 30, 2011 - 10:17 pm
Is the ASU-Sumlin marriage closer to fruition?
On Monday, reports circulated that ASU had indeed targeted Houston head coach Kevin Sumlin as their top candidate, and that talks had already started.
Wednesday night, Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi tweeted the following:
Multiple sources confirm ASU has made contact w/ reps for Kevin Sumlin & they are "down the road." Ready to spend $2.5M per yr.
The real nugget there is the amount ASU is reportedly ready to spend. Erickson made $1.5 million this season. Just last week, the University of Arizona hired Rich Rodriguez as their new head coach, and he agreed to a five-year, $9.55 million contract, or about $1.9 million per season (including money from IMG and Nike).
Sumlin signed a six-year deal with Houston back in January of 2010, and his reported salary for the 2011 campaign is $1.2 million.
The 47-year-old Sumlin is in his 4th season at Houston, and has the Cougars on the doorstep of their first ever BCS bowl bid. This is the 3rd season under Sumlin's watch that the Cougars rank in the top two nationally in total offense. Led by record-setting quarterback Case Keenum, Houston ranks first in the nation in total offense (613.3 yards per game) and points (52.7 per game).
Calvisi's tweet also suggests that talks are advancing between the two sides despite Sumlin's quote earlier this week. "No one has contacted me from anywhere in the country about a coaching job anywhere. Even if they tried, at this point, I wouldn't even talk to them. We're in the middle of the season," he said.
Houston will host the Conference USA Championship Game on Saturday against Southern Mississippi.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.