Report: Sun Devils to hire June Jones as head coach
It's June in December.
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reports ASU is set to hire June Jones as head coach, adding "look for a press conference Thursday or Friday."
The decision to hire Jones, according to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, was reached late Tuesday night.
Jones, 58, spent the last four years at Southern Methodist University, leading the Mustangs to a 23-28 mark. Prior to that he went 76-41 at Hawaii.
An offensive-minded coach, Jones is known for using a pass-heavy offense. He takes over a program that many thought underachieved the last few seasons, though scoring points was not really the problem this past year.
At any rate, Jones will take over for the fired Dennis Erickson, and like the man he replaced, also has a history in the NFL.
Jones coached the Atlanta Falcons from 1994-96, guiding them to a 19-29 record and one playoff appearance, and was also the interim coach for the San Diego Chargers in 1998, going 3-7.
Jones' name was first linked to the ASU job over the weekend, but that idea seemed to cool down and the coach allegedly told his team and staff at SMU that he was staying.
Jones is expected to bring recruiting coordinator Adrian Klemm with him.
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works