Updated Dec 7, 2011 - 4:54 pm
Report: Sun Devils to hire June Jones as head coach
It's June in December.
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reports ASU is set to hire June Jones as head coach, adding "look for a press conference Thursday or Friday."
The decision to hire Jones, according to Arizona Sports 620's Paul Calvisi, was reached late Tuesday night.
Jones, 58, spent the last four years at Southern Methodist University, leading the Mustangs to a 23-28 mark. Prior to that he went 76-41 at Hawaii.
An offensive-minded coach, Jones is known for using a pass-heavy offense. He takes over a program that many thought underachieved the last few seasons, though scoring points was not really the problem this past year.
At any rate, Jones will take over for the fired Dennis Erickson, and like the man he replaced, also has a history in the NFL.
Jones coached the Atlanta Falcons from 1994-96, guiding them to a 19-29 record and one playoff appearance, and was also the interim coach for the San Diego Chargers in 1998, going 3-7.
Jones' name was first linked to the ASU job over the weekend, but that idea seemed to cool down and the coach allegedly told his team and staff at SMU that he was staying.
Jones is expected to bring recruiting coordinator Adrian Klemm with him.
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.