Updated Dec 14, 2011 - 1:42 pm
Sun Devils find their coach, hire Todd Graham
"Criteria for our head coach was established, and the word that was at the forefront of discussions was `energy'...energy towards promoting our program in the community and with former players. Energy towards instilling discipline, leadership and in recruiting. Energy towards representing our brand in every facet of the program," ASU VP of Athletics Lisa Love said in a statement. "In Todd, we have not only hired a young and sitting head coach, but one with a history of success on the field and in hiring top-notch assistant coaches. For the first time in his career, he will be taking over a program with a strong nucleus at the beginning. We are excited to watch Coach Graham take over a very well- positioned program and elevate it to the next level."
Graham, 47, has a career mark of 49-29 after stints at Rice, Tulsa and Pittsburgh. He went 6-6 in his lone year at Pitt, but the fact that he's leaving for another job so soon is a concern to some.
However, it's not one the school shares.
"What we sought in a football coach was someone who would be in it for the long term at Arizona State, who would build and guide a program that would be competitive in the Pac-12 and on a national level year after year after year, who would communicate and connect with the community, and represent our University with honor. In Todd Graham we have that person," said ASU President Dr. Michael Crow.
This will be Graham's fourth coaching stop since 2006, though the hire should alleviate the angst many ASU fans felt during the pursuit of a coach, which saw names like Kevin Sumlin and June Jones linked to the job.
Though Graham is not a "big name" in the traditional sense, he has a trio of 10-win seasons on his resume.
It has been reported that Graham will be bringing much of his staff from Pittsburgh to Tempe, including his offensive and defensive coordinators. That could be why Noel Mazzone left for a job at UCLA.
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.