Updated Jan 3, 2012 - 6:46 pm
ESPN report: Osweiler could leave ASU
They fired head coach Dennis Erickson and became embroiled in a national firestorm after reportedly hiring than rescinding their coaching offer to June Jones before finally handing over the reins to Todd Graham.
Now there's speculation that the new direction of the program implemented by Graham may also include a different quarterback at the helm. ESPN's Greg Biggins posted a series of tweets on Tuesday about the future of Brock Osweiler -- and it sounds quite ominous for the Sun Devil faithful.
Sorry to be vague and not sure it has legs but hearing some interesting rumors regarding ASU QB Brock Osweiler.
Not sure he'll pull a Dayne Crist (graduated and able to play right away) and transfer but there are some intriguing schools very interested.
Again, not sure if it has legs but heard from two fairly reliable sources so we'll see what if anything happens with it.
It wouldn't come as a total shock if Osweiler decided to leave ASU after former offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone wasn't given the Sun Devils' head coaching job and left to join UCLA's coaching staff. In fact, Mazzone's exit may be the tipping point if Osweiler does decide to leave the Devils.
Osweiler's adoration and respect for Mazzone was often well-documented in the media. When it was announced that Mazzone was leaving the program, Osweiler bawled to reporters in a news conference, showing genuine angst over losing his trusted mentor.
Wherever there is smoke, there is often fire -- so if there is discontent between Osweiler and the Sun Devils, new head coach Graham may be forced to find a replacement. Mike Bercovici was the backup to Osweiler as a true freshman in 2011, and another freshman, Michael Eubank, redshirted. Interestingly enough, when Graham was at Pittsburgh he heavily recruited Eubank -- which breeds a familiarity and fondness between player and coach. It wouldn't be surprising if Eubank was given a strong look to be ASU's starting quarterback if Osweiler does, in fact, depart.
While the Devils would certainly be worse for the wear if they lose their starting quarterback, the future for Osweiler figures to be bright whether he's playing in Tempe or opts to take his talents elsewhere.
But for ASU, the impact of losing another high profile name to cap an offseason of disgruntlement may force the team into full rebuilding mode next season -- which would be unsettling for the legions of frustrated and long- suffering Sun Devils fans.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?