Producers: 'American Idol' making changes
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - The producers of "American Idol" said Monday that the show's new season will include changes to freshen it, including expanded song choices for contestants.
After tending toward a fair amount of golden oldies, the show's song list will add more current tunes that the young contestants can relate to, executive producer Per Blankens said.
Former judge Randy Jackson's new role will include leading a workshop that helps contestants deal with vocal and other challenges, executive producer Trish Kinane said.
The talent contest also will introduce a "rush week" that precedes the Hollywood week auditions.
But Kinane told the Television Critics Association that the series is still essentially "American Idol."
Fox's program enters its 13th season Wednesday with declining ratings and competition in the talent genre from NBC's "The Voice."
It's the first season for the judging panel of Keith Urban, Harry Connick Jr. and Jennifer Lopez, who told the critics' group they have fun working together and want to emphasize the contestants, not themselves.
Urban ducked a question about his experience last season working with judges Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj, who became known for their on-air sniping.
Host Ryan Seacrest helped, joining Urban in pretending the question was about their relationship.
"Ryan and I worked it out," Urban said.
"We're fine," Seacrest added.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.