Updated Jan 28, 2012 - 10:49 am
DJ Foster to ASU, hopes to influence other recruits
The standout kept his options open to other Pac-12 schools such as USC and California, but decided the morning of his announcement that he will stay in state.
"Just talking to my family, and I just prayed on it," Foster told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I just felt like it was the best situation for me to stay at home with all of my family and friends and just keep working hard."
Foster had a stellar season with the Sabercats carrying the ball 234 times for 3,058 yards and 54 touchdowns. In one game, Foster rushed an astounding 508 yards and scored 10 touchdowns against Sunrise Mountain.
Foster was already being actively pursued by ASU while Dennis Erickson was still with the program, but opened up the recruiting process again when Todd Graham took over. Foster was very close to siding with Cal, but was eventually sold on Graham.
"I already knew a lot about what I needed to know about ASU; it was just getting to know the coaches and Coach Graham," Foster said. "And the first thing he talked to me about was God, and it was just a blessing. That definitely touched me that he's a God-first type of guy and he told me to just pray on it."
Foster was also encouraged by Graham's determination to put ASU back on the map and the ASU coaching staff wants to recruit all the talent in Arizona. Foster wants to be an example to keep kids in the state to start something big at ASU. He met Centennial's Zach Hoffpauir at the All- American game, and hopes he can influence his decision. Hoffpauir is deciding among ASU, Cal and Stanford, and will reveal his choice on Feb. 1.
"That was the first time I kind of met Zach, and me and him have been kind of talking a lot recently," Foster said. "I hope that me staying home definitely has kind of an impact on him. I would love to play with him for the next four or three years or whatever it may be."
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.