Updated Jan 28, 2012 - 10:49 am
DJ Foster to ASU, hopes to influence other recruits
The standout kept his options open to other Pac-12 schools such as USC and California, but decided the morning of his announcement that he will stay in state.
"Just talking to my family, and I just prayed on it," Foster told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I just felt like it was the best situation for me to stay at home with all of my family and friends and just keep working hard."
Foster had a stellar season with the Sabercats carrying the ball 234 times for 3,058 yards and 54 touchdowns. In one game, Foster rushed an astounding 508 yards and scored 10 touchdowns against Sunrise Mountain.
Foster was already being actively pursued by ASU while Dennis Erickson was still with the program, but opened up the recruiting process again when Todd Graham took over. Foster was very close to siding with Cal, but was eventually sold on Graham.
"I already knew a lot about what I needed to know about ASU; it was just getting to know the coaches and Coach Graham," Foster said. "And the first thing he talked to me about was God, and it was just a blessing. That definitely touched me that he's a God-first type of guy and he told me to just pray on it."
Foster was also encouraged by Graham's determination to put ASU back on the map and the ASU coaching staff wants to recruit all the talent in Arizona. Foster wants to be an example to keep kids in the state to start something big at ASU. He met Centennial's Zach Hoffpauir at the All- American game, and hopes he can influence his decision. Hoffpauir is deciding among ASU, Cal and Stanford, and will reveal his choice on Feb. 1.
"That was the first time I kind of met Zach, and me and him have been kind of talking a lot recently," Foster said. "I hope that me staying home definitely has kind of an impact on him. I would love to play with him for the next four or three years or whatever it may be."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.