Updated Feb 15, 2012 - 3:51 pm
Draft expert on Burfict: 'I don't see first round at all'
As feared as he was explosive, the Arizona State Sun Devil was projected as a first round pick in the NFL Draft, and one of the first defensive players off the board.
That's no longer the case.
According to NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, Burfict just isn't the player many thought he was.
"I'm not a fan at all," said Mayock. "I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed."
While many point to the linebacker's immaturity as a reason to be wary of drafting him, Mayock points to the player's ability -- or lack of.
"His instincts aren't good," Mayock observed. "He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. I don't see first round at all."
Burfict finished his ASU career with 228 total tackles (134 solo) and seven sacks, but followed an impressive sophomore year with a disappointing junior season.
Of course, this is not to say Burfict will go undrafted. Some team will take a flyer on the Sun Devil, hoping he'll become the player many thought he would be.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was