Updated Feb 15, 2012 - 3:51 pm
Draft expert on Burfict: 'I don't see first round at all'
As feared as he was explosive, the Arizona State Sun Devil was projected as a first round pick in the NFL Draft, and one of the first defensive players off the board.
That's no longer the case.
According to NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, Burfict just isn't the player many thought he was.
"I'm not a fan at all," said Mayock. "I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed."
While many point to the linebacker's immaturity as a reason to be wary of drafting him, Mayock points to the player's ability -- or lack of.
"His instincts aren't good," Mayock observed. "He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. I don't see first round at all."
Burfict finished his ASU career with 228 total tackles (134 solo) and seven sacks, but followed an impressive sophomore year with a disappointing junior season.
Of course, this is not to say Burfict will go undrafted. Some team will take a flyer on the Sun Devil, hoping he'll become the player many thought he would be.
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.