Bobby Flay finally brings home Burger Bash win
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Bobby Flay is a Burger Bash bridesmaid no more.
After years of playing second griddle to Iron Chef Michael Symon, the Food Network star finally netted a victory in the South Beach Wine and Food Festival's build-a-better-burger competition.
Flay has sought the top spot at the Burger Bash for nearly seven years, but always fell short.
For the past three years, Symon bested him- and the 20-something other top chefs who compete each year- with over-the-top, multimeat creations.
But this year, Flay cooked up a crisped beef patty topped with queso sauce, potato chips and green chili pickle.
"It's about time," Flay said after Thursday evening's event. "The green chilies were my secret weapon. I pulled out all the stops for this one. Michael Symon is a tough guy to beat."
The Burger Bash is a fixture of the festival and is hosted by Rachael Ray. Dozens of chefs from around the country gather in a massive tent on the beach, cooking up their best burger creations for thousands of attendees.
"Michael Symon is my best friend. If I had lost again it was going to be a long summer," Flay said.
Previous winners include Symon (2012, 2011, 2010), Spike Mendelsohn of Good Stuff Eatery in Washington (2009), Michael Schlow of Radius in Boston (2008) and Shake Shack of New York (2007).
J.M. Hirsch is the food editor for The Associated Press. He tweets at http://twitter.com/JM_Hirsch
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?