Updated Feb 28, 2012 - 11:17 am
NFL expert Clayton on Burfict's 40-yard dash: 'That time just destroys him'
The volatile linebacker followed a sub-par junior season with an even worse effort at the NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis.
Burfict, who ranked last among linebackers in most categories and near the bottom in the others, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.93 and 5.10 seconds, numbers that did nothing to help his already plummeting draft stock.
"That time just destroys him," ESPN NFL expert John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "You know that everybody's going to be asking about the character, and his short temper, all those things, but a short temper is one thing -- five-flat 40? Not good."
Clayton knows what he's talking about, and there are already rumbles of Burfict possibly going from first round pick to undrafted free agent.
Vontaze Burfict Update Desk:Two NFL sources tell me that "many teams have taken Burfict completely off their board.."— Paul Calvisi (@PaulCalvisi) February 28, 2012
Given what's transpired over the last eight months or so, the idea that Vontaze Burfict has fallen out of favor with NFL decision makers is not that unreasonable.
But that he's fallen out of favor with all of them? Well, that is a different story, though one that is being written right now.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition