Updated Feb 28, 2012 - 11:17 am
NFL expert Clayton on Burfict's 40-yard dash: 'That time just destroys him'
The volatile linebacker followed a sub-par junior season with an even worse effort at the NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis.
Burfict, who ranked last among linebackers in most categories and near the bottom in the others, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.93 and 5.10 seconds, numbers that did nothing to help his already plummeting draft stock.
"That time just destroys him," ESPN NFL expert John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "You know that everybody's going to be asking about the character, and his short temper, all those things, but a short temper is one thing -- five-flat 40? Not good."
Clayton knows what he's talking about, and there are already rumbles of Burfict possibly going from first round pick to undrafted free agent.
Vontaze Burfict Update Desk:Two NFL sources tell me that "many teams have taken Burfict completely off their board.."— Paul Calvisi (@PaulCalvisi) February 28, 2012
Given what's transpired over the last eight months or so, the idea that Vontaze Burfict has fallen out of favor with NFL decision makers is not that unreasonable.
But that he's fallen out of favor with all of them? Well, that is a different story, though one that is being written right now.
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.