Updated Feb 28, 2012 - 11:17 am
NFL expert Clayton on Burfict's 40-yard dash: 'That time just destroys him'
The volatile linebacker followed a sub-par junior season with an even worse effort at the NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis.
Burfict, who ranked last among linebackers in most categories and near the bottom in the others, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.93 and 5.10 seconds, numbers that did nothing to help his already plummeting draft stock.
"That time just destroys him," ESPN NFL expert John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "You know that everybody's going to be asking about the character, and his short temper, all those things, but a short temper is one thing -- five-flat 40? Not good."
Clayton knows what he's talking about, and there are already rumbles of Burfict possibly going from first round pick to undrafted free agent.
Vontaze Burfict Update Desk:Two NFL sources tell me that "many teams have taken Burfict completely off their board.."— Paul Calvisi (@PaulCalvisi) February 28, 2012
Given what's transpired over the last eight months or so, the idea that Vontaze Burfict has fallen out of favor with NFL decision makers is not that unreasonable.
But that he's fallen out of favor with all of them? Well, that is a different story, though one that is being written right now.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was