Updated Mar 27, 2012 - 9:13 pm
ASU's Marshall sidelined after ankle surgery
Senior running back Cameron Marshall, who led the team with 1,050 yards and 18 touchdowns was on crutches after undergoing surgery on his right ankle.
However, head coach Todd Graham was quick to reassure that the procedure on Marshall's ankle was basically a tune-up.
"It was a deal we just needed to clean up," Graham said. "It was really just a routine deal that had lingered from the season that we probably should have already done. But we wanted to make sure we had him at 110 percent, and he was fighting through that."
Despite the setback, Graham was very pleased with what he saw from Marshall in spring practice, even though only one of them was in pads. He's also visibly enthusiastic when considering the role Marshall will play in ASU's offense come fall.
"He's going to be a great back in our system, with our downhill runs that we have and I wanted him to get a feel for those and not wait until next fall," Graham said.
The timetable for Marshall's recovery is 3 to 4 weeks according to Graham.
Other notes from Tuesday's practice:
• Defensive end Davon Coleman returned to practice after not participating in the first week because of a suspension.
"He finally met the standards that we need and he came out, and we're glad to have him back," Graham said.
• Graham hasn't set a depth chart at quarterback just yet, although he said that will be coming soon. So the competition is still a three-headed one between sophomores Mike Bercovici and Taylor Kelly and redshirt freshman Michael Eubank.
Graham commented on the development of Eubank so far this spring through four practices.
"I like the fact that I'm trying to strain him, and the first day I could see it bothered him," Graham said. "Today, he ignored it, he ignored me, it didn't bother him, but I'm gonna try tomorrow to see if I can get him."
• Graham did end his Tuesday media session by singling out one player - linebacker Anthony Jones.
"The guy that's been a shining light in spring, a guy that's getting it done in the classroom and has been bright out here on the field is Anthony, Old Mississippi, Anthony Jones is doing a great job."
Jones, a junior from Hamilton High School in Chandler, played in 11 games in 2011, and registered six total tackles, one tackle for loss and one pass breakup.
• Sophomore defensive lineman Joita Te'i was not at practice because of what Graham called failure to meet team standards.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.