Deantre Lewis returns to the field
On the second series, the Sun Devils' running back jogged to the backfield in his No. 5 uniform and had a one-yard run. Normally an insignificant play but in Lewis's case this was an important step in the right direction.
The explosive redshirt sophomore running back missed all of the 2011 season after being shot in the leg last February.
Lewis finished the scrimmage running for 38 yards on 10 carries and a one-yard TD run. He also caught three balls for 15 yards including an eight-yard touchdown reception.
The lightning speed witnessed in 2010 still wasn't there for Lewis, with his longest run totaling 15 yards, but that's to be expected.
"Deantre Lewis, I'm proud of him," said head coach Todd Graham. "He's having to retrain that leg and retrain himself mentally. I was told when I got here he wouldn't be able to go through spring and he is going through spring, he's done a good job."
Not all was rosy for Lewis during the scrimmage, whose endurance wasn't up to par. On a two-point conversion attempt he was chewed out by one of his coaches for not finishing a play.
Despite struggling with his stamina, Lewis is making strides in his recovery as he prepares for Todd Graham's inaugural season.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 23Patterson talks to Doug and Wolf about ASU football games potentially being played at Chase field du