Updated May 4, 2012 - 3:25 pm
Jaworski shares thoughts on Foles, Osweiler
That year it was Wildcats' QB Eddie Wilson taken by the Detroit Lions in the 2nd round while ASU slinger Joe Zuger was taken in the 18th round -- also by the Lions.
This year, it was ASU's Brock Osweiler taken in the 2nd round by the Denver Broncos and U of A's Nick Foles being snapped up by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 3rd round.
Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski joined Burns & Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Friday to share his analysis of both young quarterbacks. The former Eagle wasn't all that enamored with the new Eagle in the pre- draft evaluation process.
"I was not that high (on him)," Jaworski said. "I kind of had Nick and a bunch of guys that were in a 'developmental' bunch of quarterbacks that went in the third and fourth rounds.
"He's probably in the right spot. The one thing about (Eagles coach) Andy Reid, he has a great feel for the quarterback position."
Foles put up impressive numbers in Tucson, throwing for 10,068 yards and 67 touchdowns in two-plus years as a starter. But Jaworski feels like there's something missing.
Osweiler's selection by Denver drew a much different reaction from Jaworski.
"I think the guy is going to be a starter," he said. "What an ideal situation to be in -- to back up Peyton Manning, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time -- I think is an ideal situation.
"I love when a guy can sit and learn from a wily old veteran. Learn not only to play the position but how to be a pro and how to act on the field as well as off the field. What a great guy to learn from."
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.