Updated May 4, 2012 - 3:25 pm
Jaworski shares thoughts on Foles, Osweiler
That year it was Wildcats' QB Eddie Wilson taken by the Detroit Lions in the 2nd round while ASU slinger Joe Zuger was taken in the 18th round -- also by the Lions.
This year, it was ASU's Brock Osweiler taken in the 2nd round by the Denver Broncos and U of A's Nick Foles being snapped up by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 3rd round.
Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski joined Burns & Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Friday to share his analysis of both young quarterbacks. The former Eagle wasn't all that enamored with the new Eagle in the pre- draft evaluation process.
"I was not that high (on him)," Jaworski said. "I kind of had Nick and a bunch of guys that were in a 'developmental' bunch of quarterbacks that went in the third and fourth rounds.
"He's probably in the right spot. The one thing about (Eagles coach) Andy Reid, he has a great feel for the quarterback position."
Foles put up impressive numbers in Tucson, throwing for 10,068 yards and 67 touchdowns in two-plus years as a starter. But Jaworski feels like there's something missing.
Osweiler's selection by Denver drew a much different reaction from Jaworski.
"I think the guy is going to be a starter," he said. "What an ideal situation to be in -- to back up Peyton Manning, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time -- I think is an ideal situation.
"I love when a guy can sit and learn from a wily old veteran. Learn not only to play the position but how to be a pro and how to act on the field as well as off the field. What a great guy to learn from."
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- No roses, just thorns: Loss to Stanford should not diminish Sun Devils' season
- Pac-12 Championship Game Live: Notes from Sun Devil Stadium
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition