Cardinals wrap up OTAs in Tempe
And while the three-week session lacked players wearing pads and there was no physical contact allowed (per the league collective bargaining agreement), it was a useful time for the team and head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
"It's gone good," Whisenhunt said. "We've had some good work and it seems like it's come and gone very quick. Participation has been pretty good, and the effort's been great. I'm glad we've still got mini-camp left, but we've had a good shortened offseason."
The most watched position for the Cardinals until their season opener September 9 against the Seattle Seahawks will be quarterback. Kevin Kolb, acquired last offseason from Philadelphia, and third-year pro John Skelton alternated first-team snaps during OTAs, and Whisenhunt was pleased with both candidates.
"The guys are working really hard at it, and you see little glimpses of where they're starting to improve," Whisenhunt said. "But the one thing you get out of this, which is very valuable, is that they're both more comfortable with what they're expected to do as the quarterback in this offense."
The rest won't be a long one for the Cardinals, as next week they'll hold mini-camp, which consists of five practices over three days, including a night session at University of Phoenix Stadium during the team's FanFest Wednesday night.
The sixth-year head coach is looking forward to practicing at UOP, and so is the team.
"Generally, our guys are pretty geeked up for evening practices," he said.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.