ASU picked fifth in Pac-12 South
The Arizona State Sun Devils have undergone big-time transition since the last time they took the football field. Todd Graham was hired as the new head coach following a disappointing 2011 campaign that ended with five consecutive losses. Quarterback Brock Osweiler bolted for the NFL, leaving a collection of unproven candidates to vie for the Devils' signal-calling duties.
So it's no surprise the Sun Devils were picked to finish fifth in the Pac-12 South in the conference's preseason media poll which was released Tuesday as part of Pac- 12 Media Day in Universal City, California.
USC is the overwhelming favorite in the South, picking up 117 out of 123 first place votes. Utah was picked to finish second, followed by UCLA, Arizona, ASU and Colorado.
The Oregon Ducks were the vogue choice in the North, gaining 117 first place votes. The defending conference champs were followed by Stanford, Washington, California, Washington State and Oregon State.
Interestingly enough, only three teams were picked to win the Pac-12 Championship Game: USC got 102 votes, Oregon got 18 and Arizona State got three.
Hmm...maybe those three know something the rest of us don't know?
Pac-12 Preseason Poll
1. USC Trojans (117 first place votes) 729
2. Utah Utes (1) 514
3. UCLA Bruins (2) 485
4. Arizona Wildcats 385
5. Arizona State Sun Devils (3) 353
6. Colorado Buffaloes 164
1. Oregon Ducks (117) 732
2. Stanford Cardinal (5) 533
3. Washington Huskies 502
4. California Bears (1) 382
5. Washington State Cougars 228
6. Oregon State Beavers 205
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works