Graham comments on QBs at Pac-12 Media Day
And, more than a month away from that contest, nobody has any idea whom the starting quarterback will be for Arizona State.
At Pac-12 Media Day in Los Angeles Tuesday, Graham was asked about the signal-calling situation and what the process will look like in determining a first-stringer.
"We've got a pretty good idea of where we're going, but there is still some competition left," Graham said. "It's not that we have three guys that haven't done anything to separate themselves, we've just got three really, really quality guys -- it's great to inherit that kind of situation."
Those three quality guys, of course, are sophomore Mike Bercovici, who served as Brock Osweiler's backup last season, sophomore Taylor Kelly, who was a favorite of the Erickson coaching regime, and redshirt freshman Michael Eubank, who redshirted last year.
Despite the depth at the position, which features three candidates with unique skill sets, Graham wants to move quickly in fall camp to determine his pecking order moving forward.
"The longer it goes without naming a starter, I don't like that. As soon as we can do that, we need to do that," Graham said. "It settles everything down -- you need a leader, you need a quarterback.
"Not to say that we wouldn't use two guys, but I do believe that the leadership at that position is very important."
Coming out of spring ball, most around the program figure the two prime candidates to be Bercovici and Eubank, but Graham says there are certain intangibles that will be a big part of determining the starter.
"It's going to be very critical that the person taking that snap isn't necessarily the most dynamic player -- they have to be a player that manages the offense, that doesn't put the ball in jeopardy and doesn't turn the football over," he said. "Because I firmly believe if we don't turn the football over, we're going to score."
Graham's Sun Devils were picked to finish fifth in the Pac-12 South by the conference media, although they did receive three votes to win the Pac-12 Conference Championship Game.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.