ASU football focusing on improving discipline
Perhaps the biggest issue that needed to be addressed was the team's discipline.
"We were always really close in a lot of ways. I think with Coach Todd Graham, him implementing discipline in everything we do and accountability really, we'll eliminate a lot of the mistakes," running back Cameron Marshall said at Pac-12 media day Tuesday.
The Sun Devils brought in Graham to take over coaching duties after Dennis Erickson was let go and Marshall said their new game plan is focused on avoiding costly penalties.
"We've been one of the worst teams in the nation in the last three years in getting penalties and that's just unacceptable," Marshall said. "I think Coach has stressed just how unacceptable it is."
Indeed, the Sun Devils ranked dead last in the FBS last season, racking up an average of eight penalties of almost 80 yards per game.
Linebacker Brandon Magee said that the intensity during practices has been amplified, which will benefit players even after they leave ASU.
"From observing from the sideline you sprint on and off the field, high tempo and high energy. It was very exciting for me to see," Magee said. "It seems like it's going to get us ready as players for the NFL, because everything in the NFL is so much faster than college football."
Magee added the Coach Graham will even crack down on other coaches, if they're being too lenient on disciplining players. "To have coaches involved like that is exciting," Magee said. "I look forward to the summer."
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.