Camp T is a 'rite of passage'
August 14, 2012: ASU ends four-year absence
When this page was last updated, I was wrapping up a week-long stay in Flagstaff covering the Cardinals. Now, after an extended break, it is time once again to head north (and escape the heat), though this time the destination is Payson and Camp Tontozona for ASU football.
The Sun Devils have not been since 2008, when then-head coach Dennis Erickson held a preseason scrimmage* at the place made famous by Frank Kush.
New head coach Todd Graham made returning to Camp T a priority not long after his arrival.
"It's a rite of passage," he said. "I'm thrilled that I've got the honor to go up there. I hope to get out of it what it was meant and designed for by Frank Kush. I hope that we'll strain the heck out of them and that we will bond and come together as a football team. That's the key."
It's been four years since ASU visited Camp T and five years since the team has called it home for an extended stay.
"Just to get them away," Graham continued. "With all the luxuries in college football that we have---I'm an old school guy. I just think its invaluable. And I think that's how much progress we've made. I think our guys---when you get strained, you fall apart or you pull together."
ASU will hold four practices (two on Wednesday) before a scrimmage Saturday.
Graham announced Tuesday senior running back Cameron Marshall will not take part in the scrimmage.
"Not that he couldn't," Graham explained. "He's done being tackled. He's just fatigued."
*A handful of current Sun Devils participated in the scrimmage
James Morrison 10 carries, 67 yards
Keelan Johnson 2 receptions, TD
Brandon Magee sack
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.