Big plays again highlight ASU practice
Thursday's practice featured a 99-yard touchdown pass from Taylor Kelly to Rashad Ross.
There weren't any plays that long on Friday, but there were plenty of offensive fireworks.
On the first play of the morning's session, redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Eubank aired out a pass down the left seam to Ross that covered 80 yards.
Not to be left out of the mix, a few plays later Kelly found J.J. Holliday on an 80-yard strike.
And then, wouldn't you know it, third-string QB Mike Bercovici then uncorked an 80-yard scoring strike to JC transfer Alonzo Agwuenu.
Obviously, the early offensive onslaught left head coach Todd Graham pleased.
"I thought the guys did a great job -- the offense coming on like gangbusters, they had about ten explosives today," he said. "Rashad Ross, Alonzo [Agwuenu], Eubank, I think Taylor hit one big one, so that was very impressive today."
But of course, in practice when your offense does well, it's performing at the expense of the defense, which Graham acknowledged.
"On the other side of it, we've got to do a better job of not giving up cheap touchdowns on defense," the first-year head coach said.
Kelly, who continues to hold down the number one quarterback spot although no official announcement on the starting job has been made, was also pleased with the offensive firepower the Sun Devils showed Friday.
"We came out with a lot of energy at the beginning of practice," Kelly said. "It's our last practice out here, so we decided to come out and take some shots on the defense. We hit some big plays -- thanks to the o-line for the good blocking and the receivers making the big catches."
Kelly should see first team reps during Saturday's scrimmage, which will wrap up the Sun Devils' stay at Camp Tontozona.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 23Patterson talks to Doug and Wolf about ASU football games potentially being played at Chase field du