Updated Aug 28, 2012 - 2:39 pm
ASU's Taylor Kelly ready for first college start
After all, Kelly was clearly the third quarterback in the pecking order behind fellow sophomore Mike Bercovici and redshirt freshman Michael Eubank.
But that depth chart got flipped on its ear in the fall, with Kelly emerging as the starter, followed by Eubank and Bercovici. And with the Sun Devils' season opener against NAU just two days away, Kelly is feeling confident and prepared for his first collegiate start.
"I'm ready, I'm really excited for Thursday," Kelly said Tuesday. "I worked hard for it over the summer and during spring and it's finally here, so let's take advantage of it."
Kelly won the favor of new ASU head coach Todd Graham by taking care of the football and managing the team efficiently during fall camp. Kelly says he's seen improvements in other areas of his game.
"I feel confident with my vertical passing game and my reads," he said.
Kelly becomes the fifth different starting quarterback in the last five season openers for ASU. The Eagle High School (ID) graduate expects to feel a full range of emotions on Thursday.
"I'm going to have butterflies, I'm going to have excitement, the crowd is gonna be going, there's going to be chills," he said. "I can't wait."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.