Updated Aug 28, 2012 - 2:39 pm
ASU's Taylor Kelly ready for first college start
After all, Kelly was clearly the third quarterback in the pecking order behind fellow sophomore Mike Bercovici and redshirt freshman Michael Eubank.
But that depth chart got flipped on its ear in the fall, with Kelly emerging as the starter, followed by Eubank and Bercovici. And with the Sun Devils' season opener against NAU just two days away, Kelly is feeling confident and prepared for his first collegiate start.
"I'm ready, I'm really excited for Thursday," Kelly said Tuesday. "I worked hard for it over the summer and during spring and it's finally here, so let's take advantage of it."
Kelly won the favor of new ASU head coach Todd Graham by taking care of the football and managing the team efficiently during fall camp. Kelly says he's seen improvements in other areas of his game.
"I feel confident with my vertical passing game and my reads," he said.
Kelly becomes the fifth different starting quarterback in the last five season openers for ASU. The Eagle High School (ID) graduate expects to feel a full range of emotions on Thursday.
"I'm going to have butterflies, I'm going to have excitement, the crowd is gonna be going, there's going to be chills," he said. "I can't wait."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.