Updated Aug 28, 2012 - 2:39 pm
ASU's Taylor Kelly ready for first college start
After all, Kelly was clearly the third quarterback in the pecking order behind fellow sophomore Mike Bercovici and redshirt freshman Michael Eubank.
But that depth chart got flipped on its ear in the fall, with Kelly emerging as the starter, followed by Eubank and Bercovici. And with the Sun Devils' season opener against NAU just two days away, Kelly is feeling confident and prepared for his first collegiate start.
"I'm ready, I'm really excited for Thursday," Kelly said Tuesday. "I worked hard for it over the summer and during spring and it's finally here, so let's take advantage of it."
Kelly won the favor of new ASU head coach Todd Graham by taking care of the football and managing the team efficiently during fall camp. Kelly says he's seen improvements in other areas of his game.
"I feel confident with my vertical passing game and my reads," he said.
Kelly becomes the fifth different starting quarterback in the last five season openers for ASU. The Eagle High School (ID) graduate expects to feel a full range of emotions on Thursday.
"I'm going to have butterflies, I'm going to have excitement, the crowd is gonna be going, there's going to be chills," he said. "I can't wait."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.