ASU Fork Report: Devils rout NAU
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's August 30 win over Northern Arizona. Final score: Arizona State 63, Northern Arizona 6.
The 100th season of Sun Devil football and the Todd Graham era opened with an overwhelming victory over in-state foe NAU.
The 63-points were the most scored since a season opening 63-16 win over Temple on September 1, 2005. Of the 554 total yards gained, 305 came on the ground (the most in 11 years) with Marion Grice accounting for 107 yards and three touchdowns.
Taylor Kelly in his first career start completed 15-of-19 for 247 yards and a touchdown. The defense forced three turnovers, including a 45-yard pick six by senior Brandon Magee.
Seniors Jamal Miles and James Morrison did not play. The two running backs did not dress after "not meeting the team standard" according to a school spokesperson. Both are expected to play next week.
He Said It:
"I'm really proud of our team," Graham said. "We prepared hard. We worked hard. It was an impressive first win. I couldn't have scripted a better opening night." He then added, "This is step one. We got to go to the next one."
DJ Foster (Saguaro High School) and Jaxon Hood (Hamilton High School) became the fifth and sixth true freshmen to start a season opener at ASU, joining John Jefferson (1974), Terrell Suggs (2000), Zach Miller (2004) and Will Sutton (2009).
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils host Big 10 opponent Illinois Saturday, September 8 at 7:30 p.m. The game will be televised by ESPN.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.