Fork Report: ASU routs Illinois for second win of the season
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's September 8 win over Illinois. Final score: Arizona State 45, Illinois 14.
The Sun Devils posted their second impressive performance in as many weeks. Quarterbacks Taylor Kelly and Michael Eubank combined to go 23-of-29 for 318 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. Kelly completed his first 10 attempts, finishing with 249 yards.
ASU for the second straight game surpassed more than 500 yards (510) of total offense while the defense, which has yet to be called for a penalty in eight quarters, forced three turnovers.
For the second straight game, senior running back Cameron Marshall coughed up the football. He fumbled at the one yard line on the Sun Devils' opening possession.
ASU turned it over twice, both times inside the red zone.
He Said It:
"I try to catch everything that comes my way," junior tight end Chris Coyle said after he caught 10 passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns, all career-highs. "It was just a great day."
The Sun Devils improved to 8-0 all-time against the Big 10 in games played in Tempe, outscoring the opposition 320-111 (40 ppg to 13.8 per game).
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils will travel for the first time in 2012, visiting SEC opponent Missouri on Saturday, September 15. The game kicks off at 4 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN2.
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works