Updated Sep 27, 2012 - 5:52 pm
ASU faces biggest challenge to date at Cal
Why shouldn't they be? Under first-year head coach Todd Graham, the Devils are off to a 3-1 start and are playing a disciplined brand of football.
Their opponent this week, the California Golden Bears, are in a much different place. Cal is 1-3 after consecutive losses to Ohio State and USC and in desperate need of a win for embattled head coach Jeff Tedford.
Despite all the turmoil, the Sun Devils know that Cal is loaded with talent and capable of putting it all together at any time.
"Their skill people are really, really good," Graham said Thursday following practice. "Their running backs -- (Brendan) Bigelow is dynamic and obviously (Keenan) Allen, their wide receiver, is as good as their is."
The Bears average 411 yards and 27 points per game, which both have them in the middle of the pack in the national rankings, but Graham is concerned about Cal's big play ability.
"I guess that's the thing that impresses me the most -- they've got so many players at running back and receiver that can take the ball to the house, and I don't think we've played against anybody that has that to this point."
Talent aside, the Sun Devils haven't won in Berkeley since 1997 -- a fact that everybody associated with the program has been bludgeoned with leading into the game. Graham and his players are not concerned with that history, but are very aware just how big this game is for the program.
"It'd be huge, we haven't beaten those guys in a while and I think it's going to help us stay in the driver's seat right now for the Pac-12 South," senior offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg said.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.