Updated Sep 27, 2012 - 5:52 pm
ASU faces biggest challenge to date at Cal
Why shouldn't they be? Under first-year head coach Todd Graham, the Devils are off to a 3-1 start and are playing a disciplined brand of football.
Their opponent this week, the California Golden Bears, are in a much different place. Cal is 1-3 after consecutive losses to Ohio State and USC and in desperate need of a win for embattled head coach Jeff Tedford.
Despite all the turmoil, the Sun Devils know that Cal is loaded with talent and capable of putting it all together at any time.
"Their skill people are really, really good," Graham said Thursday following practice. "Their running backs -- (Brendan) Bigelow is dynamic and obviously (Keenan) Allen, their wide receiver, is as good as their is."
The Bears average 411 yards and 27 points per game, which both have them in the middle of the pack in the national rankings, but Graham is concerned about Cal's big play ability.
"I guess that's the thing that impresses me the most -- they've got so many players at running back and receiver that can take the ball to the house, and I don't think we've played against anybody that has that to this point."
Talent aside, the Sun Devils haven't won in Berkeley since 1997 -- a fact that everybody associated with the program has been bludgeoned with leading into the game. Graham and his players are not concerned with that history, but are very aware just how big this game is for the program.
"It'd be huge, we haven't beaten those guys in a while and I think it's going to help us stay in the driver's seat right now for the Pac-12 South," senior offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg said.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.