Updated Sep 27, 2012 - 5:52 pm
ASU faces biggest challenge to date at Cal
Why shouldn't they be? Under first-year head coach Todd Graham, the Devils are off to a 3-1 start and are playing a disciplined brand of football.
Their opponent this week, the California Golden Bears, are in a much different place. Cal is 1-3 after consecutive losses to Ohio State and USC and in desperate need of a win for embattled head coach Jeff Tedford.
Despite all the turmoil, the Sun Devils know that Cal is loaded with talent and capable of putting it all together at any time.
"Their skill people are really, really good," Graham said Thursday following practice. "Their running backs -- (Brendan) Bigelow is dynamic and obviously (Keenan) Allen, their wide receiver, is as good as their is."
The Bears average 411 yards and 27 points per game, which both have them in the middle of the pack in the national rankings, but Graham is concerned about Cal's big play ability.
"I guess that's the thing that impresses me the most -- they've got so many players at running back and receiver that can take the ball to the house, and I don't think we've played against anybody that has that to this point."
Talent aside, the Sun Devils haven't won in Berkeley since 1997 -- a fact that everybody associated with the program has been bludgeoned with leading into the game. Graham and his players are not concerned with that history, but are very aware just how big this game is for the program.
"It'd be huge, we haven't beaten those guys in a while and I think it's going to help us stay in the driver's seat right now for the Pac-12 South," senior offensive lineman Evan Finkenberg said.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.