Graham believes defense will win Pac-12
"I think the reason why is there is so much diversity in the offensive schemes and people's ability to score points," Arizona State coach Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday. "You have got some really, really good offensive football teams."
With three teams ranking in the top ten nationally in total offense, it is safe to say that the Pac-12 is an offensive conference.
"I think it is really hard to play good defense in this league because there are so many talented players, so much big play potential, explosive plays and it is just crazy," Graham said.
However, Graham feels that it isn't necessarily the best offensive team that is going to win the conference.
"I think it is going to boil down to the team that has the best defense is the one that is going to win the league," Graham said. "I know that sounds pretty single minded, but thats what I believe."
Ranked tenth in the country in total defense, the Sun Devils are the only Pac-12 team that find themselves in the top 25 in that category.
"I want to be known here for great defense and great special teams," Graham said. "If you do that, you are going to win championships."
The Sun Devils defense will be tested in two weeks when they take on the Oregon Ducks at home. Arizona State has not held Oregon to fewer than 41 points since 2007.
"We have a long way to go and a lot of work to do, but I do like how our guys are responding and I like the pride they are taking in how they are playing defense," Graham said.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.