Updated Oct 9, 2012 - 11:48 am
ASU coach Todd Graham considering change at kicker
ASU is 4-1, is just outside the Top 25 and has remained relatively healthy.
In their last game, the Sun Devils accomplished something they hadn't done in 15 years: winning in Berkeley against California.
In that win over Cal, there was one area of deficiency. Alex Garoutte missed three field goals. It didn't hurt the Sun Devils in the long run, as they defeated the Golden Bears 27-17. But Garoutte's struggles did at least plant a seed in Graham's mind that maybe a change at the position is coming.
"Right now I would tell you, if we kicked today, Mora would probably kick," Graham said following his team's Tuesday practice session.
Mora is Jon Mora, a redshirt sophomore from Pima Community College who also played at Mountain Pointe High School in Phoenix. He has attempted just one field goal in his career, a missed 40-yarder in the Sun Devils' win over Utah last month.
Garoutte's numbers overall don't look bad. The sophomore has connected on 6-of-10 field goal attempts and all 24 of his extra point tries. But where the misses are coming from are cause for concern. Garoutte has made just 2-of-5 attempts from 30-39 yards.
"I'll be real honest with you, we've got three guys I think that can do it," Graham said, adding junior Dillon Jackson into the conversation. "But we need one that makes them all the time."
The Sun Devils return to the field following their bye week at Colorado in a nationally-televised game Thursday night.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!