Updated Nov 8, 2012 - 1:39 pm
Archuleta: 'Graham has done good things for ASU'
Graham went on to lead the Sun Devils to a 5-1 record, giving ASU fans hope that their team could compete for a Pac-12 Championship.
But the last few weeks have been an entirely different story. The Sun Devils have lost their last three games, leaving fans wondering what happened to the team that steamrolled through their opponents at the beginning of the season.
Pac-12 Network analyst and former Sun Devil great Adam Archuleta spoke with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf and said ASU's recent struggles are not a good reflection of what Graham has done for the school.
"I think Todd Graham has done some really good things at ASU," said Archuleta. "Of course they've stumbled a little but I think he walked into one of the more difficult situations as far as having a young team, not having a quarterback, not having a guy like [UCLA quarterback Brett] Hundley, not having a guy like [University of Arizona quarterback] Matt Scott, getting Taylor Kelly to play well."
Before the season Graham came up with his own tradition of awarding a defensive player who he believes most embodies what Pat Tillman was all about. The player whom Graham believes best displays strong play on the field and leadership amongst his teammates will have the honor of wearing Tillman's number 42 in practice. Stressing the necessity of tradition, the idea of rewarding a hard-working player with such an honor has become a hit with fans and players alike.
"I think it's good. He wants his players to exemplify somebody who was one of the greats and has the characteristics that you want in a player," said Archuleta. "You want guys to understand the importance of practice and the preparation and get that to be the important thing. And so from all those standpoints and tying it into who Pat Tillman was, I think it's a really good thing. ASU needs some tradition like that."
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.