Updated Nov 12, 2012 - 2:52 pm
Todd Graham has not lost faith in QB Taylor Kelly
After a "high-octane" start to the season filled with blowouts and dazzling performances by quarterback Taylor Kelly, ASU's offense has run out of gas.
Now on a four-game losing streak, the Devils are scrambling to score points and Kelly is starting to feel the heat.
Arizona State head coach Todd Graham was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday and expressed confidence in his sophomore signal caller.
"Our faith in Taylor [Kelly] has not changed," Graham said. "He is our starter and will be [moving forward]."
Kelly might have earned that faith from his performance early in the year. Through the first six games of the season, he threw 14 touchdowns and just two interceptions.
But in the last two games, Kelly has completed just 41 for 71 and had two touchdowns with four interceptions. He has also been sacked eight times.
Graham feels that ASU's inability to protect Kelly is why the young quarterback hasn't been himself lately and feels "any person that is under that kind of duress is going to struggle to play well."
"We've done a poor job of protecting him and I think we've probably done a poor job adjusting," Graham said. "As the season goes on, when people are game planning you and taking away things you are doing, you got to have other guys step up. We've got to step up to come up with some wrinkles here and there to help take the pressure of him."
Kelly and his offense should have an opportunity to find their rhythm this week when they welcome in Washington State for the last home game of the season.
The Cougars' defense is ninth in the Pac-12 in total defense and is giving up 33 points per game.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!