Updated Nov 13, 2012 - 2:09 pm
ESPN's May says ASU made a 'big-time mistake' not hiring Kevin Sumlin
The embattled football coach, whose team had lost four straight Pac-12 games, was allowed to coach in the Las Vegas Bowl in late December, but the search for a replacement began a month prior.
That it didn't lead to then-Houston and current Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin was a very costly mistake, according to ESPN NCAA football analyst Mark May.
Sumlin has guided the Aggies to an 8-2 mark in his first year at the helm, a record that includes a win over No. 1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The team won just seven games all of last season.
"Arizona State made a big, big-time mistake by not hiring this guy," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday.
May pointed to the record of Sumlin's current team compared to that of his former squad, Houston, which won 13 games last season (12 under Sumlin) but is just 4-6 this year.
"Just by those numbers alone it tells you what type of coach this is," May said. "He can get the job done with your guys, he can get the job done with his guys, he can get the job done, period."
Sumlin was rumored to be interested in the Arizona State job last winter, but many feel he would not have come to Tempe after learning the A&M job was available.
"You've got to put your hat in the ring," May said. "If you don't put your hat in the ring and you don't do it early enough you don't know if you're going to get the guy or not."
May added it's possible Sumlin would have visited Tempe and been so impressed that he decided to take the job.
Instead, Sumlin accepted the Texas A&M job on December 10, while the Sun Devils landed Todd Graham four days later.
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- ASU hires Patrick Suddes as assistant athletics director for recruiting
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.