Updated Nov 14, 2012 - 1:05 pm
Tennessee writer starts the 'Todd Graham to UT' rumor
One of the hottest (and longest-lasting) such rumors is that Derek Dooley's days are numbered as the head coach of the University of Tennessee Volunteers. Dooley is in his third season as the head coach in Knoxville, and the Vols have become an afterthought in college football, going 15-21 with him at the helm.
Dooley became the head coach after Lane Kiffin, currently the head man at USC, bolted after just one season in Knoxville. That practice, leaving a school after just one year, is known as "Kiffining" -- at least in Knoxville, where the locals haven't forgotten.
A poll on GoVolsXtra.com indicates most of the Tennessee fan base is convinced Dooley is gone, with over 83% of voters thinking the university has already made up their mind to relieve Dooley of his duties.
On the same website, an article by John Adams wonders if Tennessee would "Kiffin" another school -- and take a coach who was early in his tenure in his current position. Adams ponders several first-year coaches, including current ASU coach Todd Graham, who already bolted from both Rice and Pittsburgh after one season prior to landing the Sun Devils job.
Arizona State coach Todd Graham doesn't need a dream to change jobs after a year. He already has Kiffined two programs, first Rice in 2006 and then Pittsburgh in 2011.
After last season, he told Panthers players goodbye via email and rushed off to Arizona State. All he left behind was a nickname: "Mr. All Talk Then Walk."
Actually, he's not all talk. He was 7-6 at Rice, 36-17 at Tulsa, and is now 5-5 at Arizona State, which returned only eight starters and has had four consecutive losing seasons.
If the Vols' coaching search turns desperate — and they're not above Kiffining somebody — Graham could be their guy.
Even if Adams' piece is one-hundred percent fiction, ASU fans knew this kind of talk was inevitable, considering a) the job that Graham has done instilling discipline into a program that lacked it for so long and b) his previous job-hopping track record.
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.