Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 5:46 pm
ASU's Jaxon Hood excited for first Territorial Cup
The Sun Devil defensive tackle was recruited by the University of Arizona, who offered him a scholarship. Hood chose to stay closer to home, and has been a key cog in ASU's defense, which is ranked second in the Pac-12.
Hood has three sacks and 22 total tackles this season, in which he's started every game as a true freshman. He can't wait to get his first taste of playing for the Territorial Cup.
"This is one of the reasons that you stay in-state," Hood said Tuesday. "You've seen how big this rivalry gets -- I remember watching the game where James Brooks blocked two kicks and just how exciting that was.
"This is such a big game and there is so much on the line, so I'm very excited."
Hood has another reason to be excited. His older brother, Tevin, is a sophomore defensive lineman at Arizona. This will be the first time that the Hood brothers have faced each other in any organized sport.
"Besides pretty intense games of backyard football and wrestling and all that stuff, this is the first time we've been structured competitively against each other," Hood said. "We'd play games of football in the backyard, and it would always end in tears and fights, so this will be probably a more controlled thing than what we're used to."
So, with a brother behind enemy lines, is there back and forth communcation leading up to the game?
"Not much, we're just focusing on helping our teams winning the game," Hood said. "We've both been pretty mature about the whole thing. There will be more trash talk after game, but right now we're just focused on doing our jobs and making sure our teams come out with a win."
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?