Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 3:24 pm
Magee on ASU: 'We need to get back on top where we belong'
But Magee told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday it didn't take long for Graham to win him over.
"He said he was committed to the seniors, he is going to play all the best guys, he is going to have discipline in his team, only character guys are going to play, the people that don't show up to class or practice hard are not going to be a part of this team," Magee said. "The key points he made to me the first time we had a conversation, I followed him right after that."
Now preparing for his final game in a Sun Devil uniform, Magee is pleased with the direction Graham is taking the program.
"From Todd Graham all the way down to the assistant coaches, (they) are outstanding guys. They teach character, discipline, all the right things you need at college, especially at a program like Arizona State," Magee said. "We need to get back on top where we belong."
A key for ASU to "get back on top" will be recruiting players from California.
Magee, who went to high school in Corona, California, feels recruiting from the state shouldn't be a problem for Graham.
"If I were Todd Graham, I would go back to the great players from California that we had here, and show them how good they did and show them where they are today," Magee said. "Show them that California players succeed out here."
He also suggested letting players like him and high school teammate Will Sutton talk to players about what it is like to live in the Valley.
Magee, Sutton and the Sun Devils return to action December 29 when they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!