CNN's Cooper skips trip to NY for Dyngus Day fete
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - CNN's Anderson Cooper won't be in Buffalo, N.Y., to celebrate the city's heritage on Dyngus Day, a holiday that made his show's "Ridiculist" and left him giggling uncontrollably on the air last year.
Dyngus Day is a Polish-American day-after-Easter tradition celebrating the end of Lent. It features people playfully sprinkling each other with water and swatting one another with pussy willows to show their amorous interest.
Through a protracted fit of laughter last year, Cooper said, "It's so stupid, really so stupid." He later said he was referring to his giggling, not the holiday.
Organizers set up a website to try to persuade Cooper to attend and offered to name him the festival's first pussy willow prince.
But Cooper tweeted Thursday he's "really sad" he won't be able to. He says it sounds like "a lot of fun."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!