CNN's Cooper skips trip to NY for Dyngus Day fete
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - CNN's Anderson Cooper won't be in Buffalo, N.Y., to celebrate the city's heritage on Dyngus Day, a holiday that made his show's "Ridiculist" and left him giggling uncontrollably on the air last year.
Dyngus Day is a Polish-American day-after-Easter tradition celebrating the end of Lent. It features people playfully sprinkling each other with water and swatting one another with pussy willows to show their amorous interest.
Through a protracted fit of laughter last year, Cooper said, "It's so stupid, really so stupid." He later said he was referring to his giggling, not the holiday.
Organizers set up a website to try to persuade Cooper to attend and offered to name him the festival's first pussy willow prince.
But Cooper tweeted Thursday he's "really sad" he won't be able to. He says it sounds like "a lot of fun."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.